Sunday, January 20, 2008

Any suggestions?

Ok, we are having some issues on the homefront....an almost 4 month old is pushing us around!!! Even after starting cereal she is still only sleeping 2-4hrs at a time in the evenings. I'm not convienced she is hungry, I just don't think she possess the skills to soothe herself back to sleep. Right when I pick her up, she'll go right back to sleep. I tried the letting her cry it out a few times now and I just can't stand it!! I feel like she will lose her trust in us if we just let her cry at every nap time and bedtime. We do have nighttime rituals in place and though they help, she still doesn't go down without a fight and then we have her waking several times through the night because she can't comfort herself. Any suggestions are welcome.....what did other people do????

2 comments:

Jen Santos said...

Unfortunately I think all babies go through this. Mackenzie certainly did. She just figured out that she didn't want to be alone in her room. At 6-months, we had finally had enough sleep-deprived nights. She was at a point of waking every 15-20 minutes. The best advice I got during this time was this -- babies don't do what doesn't work. If crying no longer works, she will stop doing it. It's the hardest thing we ever did and I think we cried as much if not more that night than she did, but we finally had to let her just cry it out. And boy, did she! She cried on and off until 5am. It just broke our hearts, but the next night when she woke, she only cried on and off for about 2 hours. The next night, for about 5 minutes. Then she seemed to be able to sleep for longer and longer stretches. I stress that this was by far THE HARDEST thing we ever had to do. But as long as she's safe and nothing is physically wrong, this might be the only solution. We tried everything else, but were just at our wits-end. Mind you, don't believe anyone who says this doesn't crop back up. Every time Serena cuts a tooth, gets a cold, goes on vacation, sleep problems crop back up. The hard part is to try and stay firm. She will re-settle into her routine. Sorry if this seems hard advice, but no ever said this parenting thing was going to be easy. Good luck, guys! And God-speed. Hopefully little miss will pick it up quickly.

The Foley Five said...

Hmmm, well, I am like you... I can't let Kali cry for more than 20 minutes. I have to say that I was successfull with the "cry it out" method once. Then she got sick, slept with us when she was feverish... and well that was 2 months ago and counting... she's still in our bed! Yikes!! I guess that if you have no problems with her sleeping with you... if she will sleep with you... then go for it. No one will look down at you. After all, she's just like her momma... bossy and wants her way when she wants it... NOW! Good luck!! Love you guys!

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker